Before you start working on your garden, you know that the first step would be starting your plants from seeds. However, even if it is a great way to jump-start, most people don’t know they need to clean and sanitize the pots. Why is that so necessary, though? Well, when you are growing your own seeds, you will notice that seeds are highly vulnerable to fungus, especially to damping off. Thus, properly cleaning and sanitizing your containers is the first and most important step to have a successful seed production. Keep reading and see my 5 steps to clean and sanitize your seed-starting pots.
Thus, it doesn’t matter if you have new containers or if you are recycling old ones. The same rule apply to all of them, you need to make sure they are thoroughly clean before starting your seeds. One way to sterilize your containers is to place them in an oven and heat them to 170-180 degrees. That’s how you will kill off any fungi or other diseases that could be inside your containers.
However, most pots and containers are not suitable for the oven. Thus, here are some simple steps you can take to help your seeds to grow into flourishing and magnificent plants from the seed-starting pots:
1. First, to save time I suggest using three large buckets. Thus, it will have to be big enough to hold your pots and containers. Then, fill one bucket with clean water, another with 9 parts water and one part mild bleach and the third with water and a little bit of liquid detergent.
2. Thus, in the bucket with soap and water, scrub your pots and containers thoroughly than rinse with water.
3. In my opinion, the next step is the most important: soak your pots and containers in the bleach solution for roughly 15 minutes.
4. Then remove from the solution and place them in the clean water to rinse.
5. Finally, let them dry out completely before filling with the soil and placing the seeds. You want to make sure the pots/containers have draining holes.
With these simple instructions, you can help your tiny seeds thrive, growing into your own personal, stunning garden oasis.